Old November 20th 18, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default chain rust

On 11/19/18 9:31 PM, Ned Mantei wrote:
I have an old bike fitted with "spike" winter tires. This is in action
only when there is ice and/or snow on the streets, so where I live about
2 to max. 8 weeks per year. Not much, but the salt solution the city
uses to deal with the ice causes so much rust that every couple of years
the chain needs to be replaced. Lots of oil on the chain doesn't seem to
help much if at all, and now I wonder whether it would pay to rinse off
the salt at the end of every day of use. The bike is stored in an
underground garage including a place with a hose for washing cars, so
icy water wouldn't be a problem. There is also enough heating that the
water should evaporate overnight. Worthwhile? Other possibilities? Just
let it be, and replace the chain every year or two? Advice welcome.

If you're sure it won't freeze overnight, this is not a bad idea, and it
will help. Otoh, I subscribe to the idea that in ****e salt/sand winter
commuting, just change the chain every spring.