Old May 14th 05, 10:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Geoff Lane
') wrote:

After years away from cycling, I'd like to get back into recreational
cycling. I'm 6ft 4in tall and so need a large-framed bike. I've got a
low budget and the Giant Cypress SE (23" frame) seemed ideal. My local
bike shop got one for me but there's a problem. In top gear (largest
chainring/smallest rear cog), there is enough flex in the chainset
etc. for the chain to foul the outside of the front changer cage every
time I push down on the right-hand pedal. This only happens when
riding the bike (i.e. no fouling occurs when testing on a stand).

The bike shop have had a go at fixing the bike. They've replaced the
chainset and bottom bracket (I hope that means the axle!) and they say
it's about 95% fixed. However, they tell me that if you really stand
on the pedals in top gear the chain still fouls the front changer.

Is this fouling to be expected with a budget bike in a larger frame
size? Is it acceptable, or should I reject the bike? If the latter,
any recommendations (up to about £250)?

Frankly yes, but it also has something to do with your pedalling style.
Firstly, all chainsets - even expensive ones - flex. All chainsets with
pressed steel chainrings flex a lot - easily enough to cause the
symptoms you describe. The frame also, obviously, flexes too but this
contributes relatively little to the problem.

But if you 'spin' - stay in lower gears and pedal with a higher cadence
- you put much less stress on the chainset (and, incidentally, on your
knees) than if you 'mash' - use high gears and pedal with a slow
cadence. If you use inappropriately high gears you will get the
symptoms you describe even with a £700 chainset. So no, it isn't really
a problem with the bike. The system will still work. But it will work
better if you develop your pedalling style to be kinder to your body
and the bike.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.