Old May 15th 05, 09:31 AM
David Martin

On 14/5/05 11:20 pm, in article
, "Simon Brooke"
wrote:

in message , Geoff Lane
') wrote:

In the old days, I wouldn't have worried overly - I'd have just
adjusted the outer limit stop and that would be that. However, this
bike has those "new-fangled" Shimano EZ Fire changers, which have only
indexed functionality - so I don't have "on the move" fine control
over changer position. Personally, I hate "quick-fire" shifters (I
started cycling pre-index, when Huret Svelto was brand new) - but
"quick fire" seems all that bikes of today offer.

Yes, Shimano are crap from the trimming point of view. However, Shimano
are not the only game in town. SRAM GripShift shifters allow you to
trim the front deraileur, as do Campagnolo Ergo levers. You can get the
SRAM GripShifts from about a tenner upwards, and you can get them in
pull ratios which match Shimano deraileurs.

I like the rapidfire for the rear but have stuck with my OEM sram gripshift
on the front (over 8 years old and showing it). The trim is essential for
happy riding unless you have a very long chainline.

So I have a shiny new XT front rapidfire changer that I am not going to use.

...d