Old April 28th 18, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chains

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:22:33 AM UTC+2, incredulous wrote:
OP has asked reasonable question about chain differences. ‘Data’ could include playing, corrosion resistance, tolerances, expected durability, weight, etc.
Lighter weight, for cyclists, would be an obvious feature. An after-market chain I bought made exactly that claim, and the plates were indeed carved out.

De MostiX
PDX

True but on the other hand why ask this question because except for differences everybody can see (plating, punched holes, hollow pins) all other properties are a black box for most of us (hardness, tolerances durability). Especially for dirt cheap 9 speed chain even the price difference of the'expensive'ones doesn't justify more than a minute of thought IMO. My advice, if cost is an issue for somebody, buy the cheapest one. If the life time is short than you got what you paid for, if is the same as for the more expensive one than you are lucky. You cant loose.'

Lou, to much time spent on chains and lubing chains.