Old May 9th 18, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-05-08 17:59, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 07:40:35 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-05-07 17:35, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 08:00:56 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem

OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.

It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering
iron to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To
save the expense of having to buy new ones.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/tread-doctor-knobby-cutting-tool-for-usa/

Yup. Another accident waiting to happen. The ones I saw in Europe had
sort of a heated "cutting box" at the tip to "dregde" the tread valley.
It's really sick, just like glueing tire side walls is.

Really sick? Just as a fingernail file and a bent nail are when used
as a chain tool?

That works. File usually not even needed, just a hardened nail (the kind
to drive into concrete, pointy tip ground down) and a steel nut on the
other side. The first five decades of my life I did not have a chain
tool yet managed to change dozens of chains. The ones I used rarely had
a missing link. I had to make sure that I did that job when the folks in
the apartment below weren't home because the process is loud.

However, I just splurged and in a few days this will arrive:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/produc...nt=53958754055

One can only speculate about your tails of woe. Firstly you describe
riding in really gnarly terrain, then you describe a remote and
uninhabited area where one can't even stop for a beer. Then in this
remote and uninhabited country you can, apparently, have no problems
finding (1) Concrete nails, (2) Nuts of an appropriate size to use as
a backstop.

You should read more carefully. Where did I say "find"?

You can use a fence nail in a pinch but why not carry this little nail?

... (3)hammer stones. And, apparently these areas are common in
your selected riding areas.

Yes, they are. The Neanderthal guys already knew that most granite and
similar rocks can be used as hammers. Obviously, it seems younger
generations have forgotten.

Neanderthals didn't have goggles, which is why so many of them were
nicknamed "Popeye". Do you typically carry eye protection on your bike?