Old August 12th 19, 10:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 400W (was: Recovery and Diet)

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 2:28:36 AM UTC+2, Claus Aßmann wrote:
Lou wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 10:00:57 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

Now if we are talking a scant 10K I have generated as much as 400 watts over that distance [[...]]

Again Tom 400 W is Pro level, even for 10 k miles.

That depends on the weight of the person...
at 100kg, that's 4W/kg and hence achievable by a trained cyclist over that distance.
at 60kg, that's 6.6W/kg which is "pro level" (wrt weight and power)

True if 100 kg is not the result of overweight. In practice I see never people (mortals like you and me) in the Strava segments top ranking with listed powers (they use a power meter) exceeding 350 Watts. See ranking of the Passo Pordoi for instance. First is Vicenzo Nibali. We don't count him but in the top 20 no one exceeded 350 Watts in their effort and you can count on it that the top 20 people are top cyclists.
IIRC Tom is a slightly overweight 75 year old. So if he manage 400 Watts over 16 km that is a world class achievement. Hat off.

Lou