Old August 18th 17, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 8/17/2017 8:04 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 11:37:58 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-16 17:29, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 06:52:32 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-15 16:49, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 07:05:08 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-14 23:15, John B. wrote:

[...]

Given that the Virgin Group (net worth 5 - 5.5 billion Sterling,
estimated in 2014) started with Richard Branson selling bootleg
records out of the trunk of his car, it doesn't sound like a business
is too difficult to get going in Europe.

Look at where he does most of his business though.

Today, yes.

The point though was that Branson started a business selling bootleg
records from the trunk of his car and built it into a billion dollar
business. Although you argue that there is so much to impede a startup
business in Europe.

Selling bootleg records is illegal in Britain and almost anywhere else
if that hasn't occurred to you yet. You can start a "business" that way
in any country as long as they don't arrest you.

Certainly. As Branson described it they were records made in France
and brought into England without paying import duty.

I meant starting the honest way. I did, in Europe. And in the US.

The point is that in spite of your claim of how difficult it is to
start a business in Europe Branson started a multi-billion quid
business in the simplest way possible, selling stuff out of the trunk
of his car. Thus, it appears that starting a business is not that
difficult.

According to what you wrote above he broke the law, plain and simple.
Lots of people build businesses by breaking the law. That does not make
it right and does not prove a good business climate.

What in the world does that have to do with anything. We are talking
about starting a business and you keep discovering arguments why it
won't work, when Branson is standing right there in front of you
counting his money.

The fact is that the British government did subsequently investigate
Branson for failure to pay taxes and, I believe, that he did make some
sort of payment to the government to resolve the problem.

So, apparently the British government is satisfied and Branson is
counting his money, and you are arguing that "it won't work".

Hell who hasn't done similar?

My first import business consisted of buying Postal Money
orders for Sterling on payday, mailing them to a friend in
England who sent me Czech tubulars marked "Goods of British
Origin" as selling communist goods was illegal here [1]. As
long as I sold most of them before the rent was due, I came
out OK.

Legal businesses just do not have much net margin which is I
think what Joerg implied.

[1] Barum made very nice quality tubulars at a great price
even after my filthy margin.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/