Old November 26th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Our wildlands are not outdoor gymnasiums or amusement parks.

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

It works fine for you, but not for hikers. Trust me on this,
they hate your guts!

I don't trust you even slightly Ed ... you've never been there so you have not the slightest conception of what is going on there.

I know full well what is going on. You are criminally trespassing on hiking trails and hikers hate you for it. If looks could kill you would be a dead man.
[...]

The key phrase is "in such manner and by such means as will
leave them unimpaired". I will admit I much prefer the Wilderness Area ethic
compared to the National Park one.

I don't care which you prefer. The reality is that there is nothing in there that talks about preferring hiking to biking. So your statement is disproven; the land managers ARE adhering to their mission statement.

I have stated repeatedly in the course of this correspondence that the land managers have to educated. I blame them more than I do you. You are simply taking advantage of a flaw in the enforcement of what is sensible.

I agree completely that the resource should be unimpaired which therefore suggests traffic limits to minimise congestion and erosion.

I don’t give a good god damn about the congestion and erosion. What I care about is that cyclists are doing a sport and hikers are doing a pilgrimage. When the hell are you are going to get up to speed on what is at issue here?
[...]

Some roads are dangerous, others aren't. Young people who

ride
bikes are going to be riding on streets and roads

regardless of your nutty
ideas.

I already told you that mine, and those of several friends of mine, don't do so because it's too dangerous. There have been, in the last five years in my area, over 35 cyclist deaths on the road. There has been 1 off road ... and that was a guy who died of a heart attack.

I am going to cut you some slack here as I can believe that the roads in the UK might be quite dangerous. Here in Minnesota you can easily get killed also. The ultimate solution are bike paths. I can't wait for the day when gas gets to be $20 a gallon (or maybe $50 dollars a gallon) which will mean the end of the private motor vehicle. I along with Mr. Vandeman hate motor vehicles. We humans can either walk or bike or else use public transport. Believe me, I am a road cyclist and I have seen every danger that there is. But cycling on hiking trails is NOT the answer.
[...]

Residential streets are safe. Hiking trails are only safe for
hikers, not for bikers regardless of age.

More stupidity. "Residential streets are safe". What total and utter nonsense. Why do you think the UK government is being lobbied to reduce the speed limit further on residential streets ? http://www.standard.co.uk/news/drive...s-6753301.html

You just spout anything that comes into your head don't you ?

Residential streets are far safer than high speed highways, especially those with no paved shoulders. But I admit I have no clue as to how bad the streets are in the UK.
[...]

People ... doing what! You make no sense
whatever.

You are simply too obtuse to understand. People own the trails ... not the practitioners of one specific activity. Use and ownership are not the same.

It never matters who “owns” anything. In the end it is the practitioners and the customers who “own”. Indeed, use and ownership are not the same thing.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great