Old March 16th 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default GPS Units = Show road steepness?

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:42:29 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Theodore Heise wrote:
:On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 06:09:43 -0700 (PDT),
: Zen Cycle wrote:
: On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 5:36:37 PM UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:

: The thing about an RTC that is likely to make users unhappy is
: having to adjust the clock time.
:
: I find this aggravating. I know this probably isn't a legit
: RTC, but the clock in my car loses a minute per month (no, I'm
: not exaggerating)

:Seems I've read somewhere (or heard) that accuracy of some car
:clocks can be affected if the voltage isn't close enough to the
:expected 12 volts. I can't find much on the web (in a quick
:search) to support that possibility, so it may well be wrong.

Quartz clocks slow down when voltage drops too low. I would expect a
car clock to be voltage regulated enoughto not matter, as automobile
voltages range from 11 to 15 volts, in normal operation. Stability
under temperature variation is a big issue with quartz clocks, I
wonder if that's the short cut they toook. It's one of the reasons
mecanical clocks (with an elctric motor to wind them....) lasted until
the 80s in cars.

--
sig 99

Well after 40 years of being an EE I can honestly say that I've never seen such a thing. On the other hand I don't know how these previous "quartz" clocks were designed and constructed so I would be working from a point of zero understanding of what happened.