Old June 2nd 05, 06:05 AM
John Thompson

On 2005-06-01, Robert Perkins wrote:

This is the funniest thing to come along since oval chain rings were
"replaced" by super-duper round ones.

Finally, some company had the smarts to give the average cycling joe the
gearing he needs while wrapping it all in some "weight saving" mystique.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx3.html

My '93 Cannondale touring bike came with a low-Q Ritchey triple with
50-42-30 rings. I run another Ritchey triple with 50-38-28 on my road
bike with a 7-speed 12-23 cassette.

Maybe we can now dig out our old Sugino triples and call them "vintage
racing compact"

This spring I decided that since I seldom used the high gears on my road
bike, I'd get rid of them. So I installed an old Stronglight 99 crank with
32-45T rings on it and paired it with a 13-21 freewheel. Now I can use all
my gears...

--

John )