Old June 2nd 05, 10:32 PM

Default "Compact Double Crank" = "Touring Bike Crank"

Paul Kopit wrote:
On 2 Jun 2005 05:24:26 -0700, wrote:

I'm not sure what exact point regarding compact doubles the OP was
addressing, either. But I do wonder why anyone would pay to have the
potential utility of a crank *reduced*, as in your Sugino triple to
double conversion. I know you guys are just meeting a demand, and the
labor charge is very fair....but WHY??? Why not just put some plugs on
the 74mm mounts and ride on? Maybe one day, a triple wo

There are little bumps where the threads for the inner ring are. When
the chain is derailled, it will lodge between the bottom bracket and
those bumps and become very difficult to get back up. Remember, when
using as a double, the crankarm is closer to the frame. Those pumps
are particularly pronounced on something like an RX 100 crank.

I think a properly set limit screw would prevent the problem. If not, a
"third eye" type thingie surely would. I'd rather take some care
setting the limit screw or take the time to install the "third eye" and
save the money on having the crank modified, get to keep the 74mm
chainring *and* have the option to run a triple on the same crank. YMMV