Old August 12th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

Default How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

Hey guys, figured I'd ask people who know more than me about this before
actually doing something (and besides I'm a few thousand kms from my 36
with this rim on anyhow..).

I heard from Sam W (redwelly) that drilling the inside of his
nightrider rim out only saved about 50 odd grams (compared to airfoils
which dropped much more - thinner inner wall metal on the nightriders
apparently). Since riding his wheel with shaven tire, 29'er tube, ss
spokes and drilled rim, I really want a similar setup. The weight
savings is ridiculous - and when I get a schlumpf for it - mm!

He was saying that the metal is much thinner on the inner wall, which
makes me wonder - how dangerous/unwise would it be to drill out the
outer wall of the rim a la 19" trials gear that's going around right
now? I'm a road weenie as is, so strength isn't a super huge deal to me
unless the wheel is flopping every which way and running into my brakes,
so if it would hold up to road riding I'd be all for it.

My question is, what would happen? It would really suck if building the
wheel back up caused the rim to die in weird ways, but it also seems
like the weight savings would be worth it, especially if it was on the
order of 100+ grams at the extremity of the wheel.

And besides, I might try it anyways and risk having to buy a second rim
to mess up, who knows?

--
flyer