Old November 20th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

On 11/19/2017 7:54 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 5:20:50 PM UTC, wrote:
Both the Pope automobile and the Pope bicycle were made and priced as rich men's toys, before cars and bikes became commodities. The Pope was a quality vehicle and was supposedly a lot more dependable than many other cars of the time.

A $4500 bike is still a rich man's toy.

Interestingly (for any of you who are ham radio operators), Hiram Percy Maxim, W1AW (the founder of the American Radio Relay League) was Pope's chief automobile engineer.

Trivia and coincidences: one of my novels is about Sir Basil Zaharoff, a real person, who was the salesman and partner of Maxim's father, also Hiram, who invented the machine gun.
http://coolmainpress.com/THEZAHAROFFCOMMISSION.html

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbk1voje3d...heels.jpg?dl=0

Very nice indeed. Did you do any of the work yourself?

Andre Jute
There's enough diversity in the world already

Maxim the elder was utterly unsuccessful here but found a
warm reception, and made his fortune, in England.

"Whatever happens, we have got the Maxim and they have not."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/