Old April 3rd 21, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Eyc headlight problem

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 9:41:20 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/2/2021 12:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I rode across the US from east to west and north to south with a battery light. I did have a roller dynamo while commuting in San Jose in the 70s.

I did east to west with a roller dyno and a halogen headlight. I'm
betting your battery light was nowhere near as effective as my various
B&M lamps, yet we both survived. Yet you seem to now be claiming my
lights are ineffective.

I did not ride across the USA. But I did ride 4000 miles around Europe in the summer of 1992. I did not have a front light on my loaded touring bike.. I did have a red blinky on the back. I never had a reason for a front light. I was on vacation. I had no schedule to keep. I only rode after the sun came up and stopped before the sun went down. My trip was about Memorial Day to Labor Day. So 16+ hours of daylight every day. I stayed at hostels, pensiones, inns, etc. They provided some kind of breakfast in the morning. So I always ate it. And they did not get up at 3AM to get it for a crazy cyclist who wanted to start riding 3 hours before the sun came up. I rode 50-80 miles a day. Which was easy to accomplish while the sun was up. No reason for a front light. The few times I got rained on, I did turn on the rear red blinky to help visibility.