Old September 20th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

Default The real reason you're broke: spending money on cars

How many times will $100 fill up the tanks on an F350?

The Featured Article didn't exactly show their work...
I mean to say they didn't break it down to what it cost to own a car
versus what it costs to drive and maintain it.

One of the numbers they bandied about was 15000 miles per year. I
don't have a clue as to an average MPG, maybe 20? 750 gallons per
year or around 15 per week - that kinda sounds in the ballpark doesn't
it,unless you're using a 3/4 ton truck to haul yer ass to the office.
Gas is going for a little under $3 right now, say $2.75 - that's about
$2k just for fuel. Your gonna need to change the oil three times over
that 15kmi, $150? A set of tires might go 60kmi and probably retail
for $80 a piece - four tires/four years how convenient, batteries,
wiper blades, belts... it looks like about 40% of their $7k a year was
spent making the thing go and a little more than half in just owning
it (amortized purchase, registration, insurance, did they include
storage?-)

Still, I can save enough in gasoline alone to buy a nice new bike
every year, and a bike will hold up better'n a car - my '72 LeTour is
still serviceable whereas my '87 Benz is on its last leg. If I could
just figure out how to get bicycle tires to last four years.