Old January 8th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GearQueen

Default Frustrations Learning to Ride: Mental Block and *Really* Sore Knees?

I can relate to all your knee problems and pains. I have horrible
knees, but have found some things that help. Also I'm 50 now, and have
just started learning to ride the uni a couple of months ago. So I know
the mental thing you are talking about. So I throw out my opinion for
both things.

I think women are a bit more cautious than men, and our brains want to
understand what is going to happen. We are more cautious about getting
hurt. My partner is also learning with me, but what I've found, is that
I went for it way before she did. I'm just a bit more aggressive than
she is. She is at the stage you are talking about. If I walk along
side her, she can ride down the street, barely touching my fingers, for
quite a ways. But as soon as she is not touching, she does not make it
very far. What I see, when I'm walking along side her, is that she is
not doing a very smooth pedal stroke, almost a stop and start. So when
I coach her to smooth it out, and speed up a bit, she does much better,
and can ride for a ways on her own.

I have noticed this for myself too, that when my stroke gets a bit
choppy, that I'm putting too much weight on the pedals, and to smooth it
out, you have to sit in the seat more. So if have your helper and are
going along, barely touching fingers, try to smooth out your stroke and
go just a bit faster....yes a bit of speed is your friend. you should
sit in the seat a bit more and may help your knees.

You might try shorter sessions, say no more than 30 minutes, and maybe
you can get more days in.

I agree with Saskatchewanian about the imbalance of muscles. I also
would add alignment. I found a book called Pain Free, and it changed
everything for me. It suggested to look at your own alignment, in front
of a mirror, and then work on the areas that need help. Some of my
issues were, from years of basketball and running. My hips tilt back
badly, which affected my knees, and my lower back. So now I do simple
exersizes and stretches that help to align me better. I can't run much
any more, but I do walk alot, and I focus on the alignment, of my hips,
and the stride of my foot, and most of the time, I do not have pain.
Which I consider pretty good, since my doc said 5 years ago, that I
would need a knee replacement (which I do not want to do). I have had
an acl repair, and both of my knees scoped. I was lucky to have the doc
video the scope, so I could see the inside of my knee, which was very
mushy, dull and rough. The good news is that I'm still doing the
sports I love. They all make me stiff and sore, but isn't that true for
anybody that's 50 and active?

Make sure you go see a good sports doctor. Ortho's mainly want to do
surgery and give you new parts. Don't get me wrong....I'm grateful for
what they do, and I needed to have mine cleaned out badly. If I hadn't,
I'd probably have new knees right now. but with getting the scope, and
finding balancing excersizes, I do ok.

I hope you find some relief for your knees, just keep searching, try
the Pain Free book. Keep trying the uni, you just need to get your
mind to a safe place, and you will push through it and ride alone,
further and further. I can now ride up and down the sidewalk, over lump
and bumps. It just takes practice, so your mind and muscles know what
to do. And you no longer have that split second of I might fall.
Which usually makes you stop.

Good luck and keep at it.

--
GearQueen