Old August 31st 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default Will fractionalism among cities ever allow functional bike facilities?

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:06:03 PM UTC-4, bo peep wrote:
On Aug 29, 10:20 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"

When you get on a bike there's no telling how far you can go. I live in another spread-out city --Miami-- and I can tell you I'm capable of going from one end to the other in one day. I may need the bus coming back, but that's part of the CHOICES --other than the car-- I propose.

Just like I guessed - eastern seaboard. What would you do if you lived
in New Mexico? You might be able to ride all day on I-25 or I-40 in
the 75mph traffic to get to the end of town, but there are no busses
out there to take you home. You can't even get a taxi that far out.

You need to get out of denial and admit that you are seriously ill.

We are analyzing the most crazy traffic in the civilized world, so don't worry about me. Actually our traffic habits and our enforcement reach catastrophic proportions. It's chaos and rage and we --mundane cyclists-- are trying to survive among the big predators behind the wheel, some of whom can crush us by accident.

Analyze the German system: SPEED CAMERAS but no speed limits in select Autobahns. Strict LANE DISCIPLINE. No cars speeding on city streets, overtaking on the right lane where they are most dangerous to others, particularly cyclists. No cell phones. No big trucks endangering others. Highly trained drivers. And bike routes everywhere.

I don't know how in the Wild West you manage to mix 75mph cars and bicycles.. Its fame seems to be well deserved.