Old June 4th 17, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default 1950's style hybrid electric bicycles

On 6/4/2017 2:44 PM, DougC wrote:

... those monark reproduction forks are
scary. I got mine some years back now, but the bolts in it were made
wrong such that one-half of them would not stay tight. I had to machine
special shouldered bolts to make mine ride-able.
,,,
It's possible they've changed them since I suppose, I have not seen any
recent example IRL. The only more-recent one I've seen close-up photos
of online was just like mine; that guy had used loctite to try to get
the bolts to hold.

That's a shame. While I'm not interested in either one, the Monark
design looks more sensible to me than the alternative shown at
http://www.designboom.com/wp-content...oom-header.jpg
with the near-horizontal spring. That one pivots about the fork crown.
Seems to me you'd want the unsprung mass to be moving more vertically as
with the Monark, rather than almost horizontally.

--
- Frank Krygowski