Old June 4th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 1950's style hybrid electric bicycles

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 5:54:00 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 2:58:38 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.designboom.com/technology/luca-agnelli-milano-bici-milan-electric-bicycles-04-18-2016/
http://www.agnellimilanobici.com
1950's retro style hybrid electric bicycle for the 70 year old
nostalgia aficionado, who wants a bicycle with power augmentation,
built onto a sprung mountain bike frame. Kickstand, fenders, big
headlight, chrome, white-wall fat tires, and gas tank are included.
It's everything I wanted in a bicycle when I was 15 years old.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

I think your memory is going, Jeff. At 15 you would already have been too smart to fall for this crap. " first [sic] apprenticed as an antique furniture restorer, his bikes resolve technical and aesthetic problems by adapting to continual changes in function and form." That's the designer speaking of himself in what he fondly imagines is the third person. Forget the resulting non sequitur and the uncapitalized sentence and the extra space -- we get enough of that illiterate **** here on RBT from Jeff Daniels -- but instead translate that sentence into English, in which it reads, "Because I'm only a journeyman antique furniture faker, whenever my bikes look like **** or fall apart [as Doug Cimperman points out], instead of fixing the problem, I leave it to bite the credulous buyer in the balls, and build my next monstrosity."

Even if this bike doesn't fall apart, as Doug says, and plants the rider on his face, there's another problem with that suspension. It pivots the lower steering inclination around the bottom of the head tube to compress a horizontal helical spring against the frame. Thus it "suspends" by moving the contact patch of the tire backwards and forwards, constantly changing the wheelbase of the bike and the effective angle determining the steering trail. In short, it is not a suspension device but a self-steering monstrosity, further aggravated by the uncontrolled weight transfer it causes. In addition the rear suspension commits the same self-steering by wheelbase-altering error, uncontrollaby adding or subtracting from the front error depending on the road and how true the bike tracks -- I'm not even smiling at that pun, because this bike will never track true even on a level, smooth road. The whole thing, if anyone ever manages to get it up to speed, say downhill, that bike will switch from dangerous understeer to lethal oversteer and back quite unpredictably, several times a second.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a clown with such a poor grasp of geometry as luca agnelli (his rendition of his name) to "restore" any furniture I may sit on, never mind "design" a bicycle I would (refuse to) ride.

Andre Jute
I ask for no more than competence. Is that really too much?

is possible a counter Italian Design culture exists ?

https://kenneturner.files.wordpress....-ii.jpg?w=1000