Old July 23rd 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Effects of too much cycling

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 9:54:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/22/2017 10:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I know where I will meet my well deserved premature demise. It
will be in the local supermarket parking lot, run over by some person
who believes that the rules of the road and common sense are all
suspended in the parking lot. I've come closer to meeting my end in
such parking lots than in any other dangerous situation.

Bringing the discussion back to [gasp!] cycling:

I've written quite a few articles on bicycling safety. One of them was
titled, IIRC, "Advice for the Timid." It had tips for people who choose
to use parking lots, sidewalks, etc. because they're afraid to ride on
the roads.

And yes, one major point is that there are effectively no rules in
parking lots. They are much more chaotic than roads.

A niece really had trouble riding and it turned out it was because she had an old cruiser which was so difficult to ride that she could barely riding a couple of miles. When she tried her sisters racer she was astonished at how easy it rode.