Old August 6th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Handebar broke off - nasty cash

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 9:03:30 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

Yes and no. I've broken steel pedal spindles catastrophically.

I snapped off a steel pedal axle once, but it wasn't from fatigue cycles or even because it was bad steel, though it was a vintage pedal made when lots of British steel was ****poot. It was an accident where I was speeding in the dark on a familiar road and since I rode there last a harvesting machine or a tractor had knocked the part of the road I counted on down into the ditch; I was going too fast for my lamps to pick up the damage on the road.. The pedal caught on the new edge of the road, the drop into the ditch was longer than the pedal arm, and my expensive vintage pedal was a casualty.

Andre Jute
I've on many creative edges, but this was the first time physically over the edge