Old August 17th 04, 02:39 PM
Pbwalther

Seems like an awful lot of work for minimal savings. I've found that a
normal chain in normal use, not cleaned as often as it should be, is
generally good for 1500-2000 miles. Replaced that often, the rear cassette
is usually good for 5 chains (so up to, say, 10,000 miles) and the
chainrings up front often go further

than that.

The cleaner you keep the chain and drive train the longer the chain will last.
I have found that I can get around 4,000 miles out of a chain and I change them
before they "stretch" much. I have heard somone claim that they could get
something like 15,000 miles out of a chain but they cleaned it after every
ride.