Old January 26th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Frank Krygowski schreef:
On Jan 26, 3:49 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
But aren't some of the differences explained by the Netherlands' dead
flat terrain and much shorter commuting distances?

Up to a point, but not any further. Look hard enough and you'll find
parts of the US and UK which are remarkably flat too, and Joe Punter
won't be riding what his Cloggie cousins will be riding. Far more
likely /not/ to have mudguards, built in lighting or rack and far more
likely the rider will be troubling themselves with a "sporty" rucksack.

Quite why anyone would want to commute a /greater/ distance with a
rucksack as a typical case I'm not sure, but that's what I see on quite
a few folk.

I completely agree that a commuting bike needs utility accessories.
Mine has fenders, generator lights and reflectors (and an additional
blinkie taillight), a large handlebar bag, a rear rack, interrupter
auxiliary brake levers, and probably some other stuff I'm not thinking
of.

But it's a Raleigh Super Course, and weighs probably 30 pounds with
all that. My impression was that most Dutch bikes were significantly
heavier. I'm not a weight weenie, but I wouldn't like hauling a lot
more weight out of the valley. Can someone give me a typical Dutch
utility bike's weight?

It varies from 15 to 20 kg. The 20 kg bike has drumbrakes, suspension
fork and gearhub. An example is:

http://www.rih.nl/site/modellen/delt...odel/index.php

The lighter 15 kg one will have no suspension fork, V-brakes and
derailleur gears. An example is:

http://www.rih.nl/site/modellen/z-85...odel/index.php

Both are fully equiped bikes, you can buy them at any bikeshop any time
and you have the choice between several brands.

Lou