Old April 13th 11, 01:00 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

These are personal accounts from the magazine. I think you have to
subscribe to read it but it's a great article.

Here are a couple of comments that I subscribe to:

"Overtaking crashes are quite rare (8.6% of crashes). And riding to
the right will not prevent them -- many of those 8.6% occurred on
shoulders and bike lanes. Taking the lane works. It's not moral --
it's fact."

(I do support TAKING THE LANE all the time. There's only one way to go
and that's over my dead body.)

"Great article! Although he hints at it (drivers think cyclists are
'losers' and are glad to not be one of them), Vanderbilt does not
recognize the class issues that affect some motorist-cyclist
relations. Although perhaps less pronounced amongst spandex-clad
roadies on carbon bikes, those who bike because they have no other
option (especially in public transportation-challenged cities like Los
Angeles, where I live) must also bear the brunt of drivers who think
of themselves as superior."

(I said that before. Elite cyclists often behave aggressive and give
the rest a bad reputation. "The rest" also is also the "mundane" or
commuter cyclist.)