Old April 16th 11, 04:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

On Apr 15, 10:22 am, Jym Dyer wrote:
_Outside_magazine_ allegedly writes:

| "I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years...
| It's ten hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."

Forrest Hodge replies:

Ten hours a week in commuting? Wouldn't the subway be faster
and arguably less dangerous?

=v= Years of grassroots activism has transformed Manhattan
into a fantastic (and, statistically, very safe) place to bike.
I feel sorry for the person quoted in _Outside_, constrained
only by a fearful mind, assuming that he/she actually exists.

=v= There are outer parts of the five boros where the subway
doen't reach, not to mention New Jersey. Some of these areas
have wider roads and more speeding, reckless motorists than
you'll find in Manhattan. Still, any 1-hour commute there is
going to include some awesome bike routes.
_Jym_

Read the comments from *all over the nation* before denying
everything. What is this, false too?

"Last September, in Maryland, Natasha Pettigrew, a Green Party
candidate for U.S. Senate, was training at dawn for a triathlon when
she was fatally struck by a Cadillac Escalade. No charges have yet
been filed against the driver, who said that she thought she'd hit an
animal until she got home and found Pettigrew's bike lodged under her
car. In Florida, the country's deadliest state for cyclists—119 deaths
in 2007, ten more than California despite having half the population—
two riders participating in last year's annual Memorial Day ride were
stabbed by a driver after words were exchanged on the road."