Old March 27th 18, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 8:42:44 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 13:57:31 -0700, sms
wrote:

Grant Petersen was right. https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

Well, he kinda often is...

He's right for him. Personally, I think his bikes look like Victorian reproductions. https://78.media.tumblr.com/79e9dcf8...3ngpo8_540.jpg

Not that I hate steel, but if I were buying a steel all-in-one bike, I'd get one with discs because I ride in the rain a lot -- most days this time of year. You have more choices with tires and can even switch between wheels sizes if that's your thing. Cable discs are easy to install and maintain although pad life is shorter. Hydraulics are awesome but you have to do some plumbing and the concept of a hydraulic system on a bike may be too much for some.

-- Jay Beattie.