Old July 28th 05, 09:24 AM
Edward Dolan

"Bruce Davis" wrote in message
[...]
(p.s. I think the reason I find Ed so entertaining is that he reminds me
of my favorite fictional character -- Ignatius J. Reilly of "A Confederacy
of Dunces." I hope Ed doesn't take offense at that -- I'm sure Ed isn't
nearly as fat as Ignatius.)

"A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head. The
green earflaps, full of large ears and uncut hair and the fine bristles that
grew in the ears themselves, stuck out on either side like turn signals
indicating two directions at once. Full, pursed lips protruded beneath the
bushy black moustache and, at their corners, sank into little folds filled
with disapproval and potato chip crumbs. In the shadow under the green visor
of the cap Ignatius J. Reilly's supercilious blue and yellow eyes looked
down upon the other people waiting under the clock at the D.H. Holmes
department store, studying the crowd of people for signs of bad taste in
dress. Several of the outfits, Ignatius noticed, were new enough and
expensive enough to be properly considered offenses against taste and
decency. Possession of anything new or expensive only reflected a person's
lack of theology and geometry; it could even cast doubts upon one's soul."
--from A Confederacy of Dunces

I vaguely remember reading that book many years ago, but I had forgotten
about it. I do remember there were several episodes in that book that I
found uproariously funny. No one else on this group will get your reference
however. John Kennedy Toole was a mysterious person, did not live long and
was never well known. I do not mind in the least being compared to Ignatius
J. Reilly. We are kindred spirits in many ways (but not all ways). I have
always greatly admired those individuals who can stand outside of society,
even though I can't really do that myself. I only pretend to do it.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota