Old October 20th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

Default OT Unintentional Newspaper Humour re bicycle accident

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:50:03 -0700, Sir Ridesalot
wrote and quoted in part(?):
\
He was wearing dark
clothing at the time of the accident which occurred shortly after 6:15
a.m. which means it was totally dark then with no street lights.
There is no mention if the cyclist was using lights of any sort.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers from Peter

Since the article is fairly short here it is as it appeared in the
paper:
"Cyclist struck by transport truck

RECORD STAFF

MOUNT FOREST

a 23-year old Palmerston cyclist is in serious condition in a London
hospital after he was struck by a transport truck Tuesday morning on
Highway 6.

The collision occurred shortly after 6:15 a.m. when the truck,
travelling north on the highway just past Mount Forest, struck the
cyclist who was also travelling north, Welington OPP said.

Adrian Joseph Evans, the cyclist, was transported to hospital in Mount
Forest and later airlifted to Victoria Hospital in London. He is
listed in serious but stable condition, police said.

The truck driver, a 41-year old Burlington man, was not injured.

Police said Evans was wearing dark clothing at the time. No charges
have been laid in connection with the crash."

The last paragraphs on the newspaper's web site now actually read:

"Police said Evans' bike was not equipped with lights or reflectors
and he was wearing dark clothing at the time.

No charges have been laid in connection with the crash."

http://news.therecord.com/News/BreakingNews/article/257259

I expect that no charges will be laid, but short of a confessed
attempted suicide by the bicyclist, I'd hope there's some serious
investigation into the truck driver's actions at the time.

Hopefully it's still too early to lay charges. I was perhaps hasty in
my previous condemnation of the police.
--
zk