Old December 11th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default London sees a different type of cyclist

Just got back from spending a few days in London, with the following
observations-

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age, with
temps sitting right at or below freezing. I was amazed at how many cyclists
were out on the streets, both night & day.

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird; whether on a
home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the rest of the traffic,
and go with the rest of the traffic. Virtually without exception. Very odd
thing to witness!

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have paid off.
It's a lot easier to get around than last time I visited. Either that or
everyone stayed home because of the cold.

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing significantly
more business and turning tables a lot more quickly. Would love to see them
open in the US; I prefer their coffee and their baked goods are world's
better. Of course, this has nothing to do with cycling (other than creating
"more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com