Old December 11th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

Default London sees a different type of cyclist

On Dec 11, 2:19 pm, Derek C wrote:
On Dec 11, 6:10 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"Colin Nelson" wrote in message

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Just got back from spending a few days in London, with the following
observations-

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age,
with temps sitting right at or below freezing. I was amazed at how
many cyclists were out on the streets, both night & day.

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird;
whether on a home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the
rest of the traffic, and go with the rest of the traffic. Virtually
without exception. Very odd thing to witness!

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have
paid off. It's a lot easier to get around than last time I visited.
Either that or everyone stayed home because of the cold.

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French
bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing
significantly more business and turning tables a lot more quickly.
Would love to see them open in the US; I prefer their coffee and
their baked goods are world's better. Of course, this has nothing to
do with cycling (other than creating "more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Bless you my son ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

**** off yank.

Careful! Don't forget the 'special relationship' which allows the US
to use the UK as an unpaid and unsinkable European aircraft carrier.

If it can't sail anywhere it loses its strategic importance. It would
great if the UK sat somewhere in the Middle East. It was important
when we fought the Nazis but not now.

Their diplomatic efforts are another thing though, and the
apprehension of Assange is particularly particularly appreciated in
the defense of democracy from democracy.