Old December 14th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

Default London sees a different type of cyclist

On Dec 14, 1:35 pm, Miles Bader wrote:
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average backyard philosopher"

writes:
Well, since the INTERSECTIONS are the most problematic, you may have
to around the block in circles to play it safe.

Of course you won't.

You take a greater risk at every intersection and must look over your
shoulder to see traffic, which may not have seen you or simply don't
care. One such terrorist blasted the horn at me meaning, "I ain't
stopping," and I had to stop in humiliation in a live or die
situation.

And how about the vehicles coming out of driveways that ignore you in
your face and block the path?

What about them? [Driveways are very rare here, but even in the
U.S. where they're common, that's a vanishingly infrequent occurrence
(even if it's annoying when it happens).]

What do you mean? Every parking lot has one in commercial areas.

I don't find that fun and find walking less stressful.

You clearly have your preferences, and obviously are welcome to them.
But you really shouldn't try so hard to impose them on others...

You are passing the buck to the pedestrians instead of taking your
place on the road. I don't blame because that's a SURVIVAL STRATEGY,
but please do not prescribe it to others.

I was riding a bike and all of a sudden I caught a crack on the
sidewalk, and planted my foot so hard that it was hurting for a while.
Old people can't handle that, nor a blow from some cyclist who may not
be as careful as you are.

Not everybody rides on the sidewalk, but maybe hmm, 75% or so I'd guess.

So I guess pedestrians are an endangered species just like frogs,

Not at all; I'd guess there are probably more pedestrians here than
where you live too ... :]

Thousands of cyclists and pedestrians... I wonder if it's NYC of the
Magic Kingdom.