Old December 16th 14, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: on controlling the lane

On 12/14/2014 7:25 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

There's a thread on alt.usage.english with the subject line: "is this
the silliest term of art ever?"

I've been tempted to mention "controlling the lane". You can't
control anything but your own body parts, and not always those, but if
you ask nicely, people nearly always give you what you need.

Or what they *think* you need; clear communication is the key to safe
riding.

Well, when I ride in the middle of a narrow lane, it seems to adequately
communicate that there's insufficient room to pass unless the passers
leave the lane.

Call it what you will; it works.

And for the situation I usually ask about - an 8.5 foot truck coming up
behind me in a 10 foot lane - I don't know a better alternative.

--
- Frank Krygowski