Old October 17th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Martin Borsje[_6_]

Default Switzerland mountain roads questions

Ken Roberts explained on 17-10-2008 :
I've gotten to sample riding some of the high passes and mountain roads of
Switzerland, and now I've got some questions about it.

(a) What is your favorite high road or pass to ride? What is it that you like
so much about that one?

Große Scheidegg for its remoteness and quietness and viwes on Eiger
Northface

Nufenen from Ullrichen for its quiteness and steepness
(b) What mountain roads in Switzerland do you never want to ride again?

Simplon and Grand St. Bernard may have a lot of freight traffic -
choose the moment.

(c) Valais / Wallis canton in southwest Switzerland has lots of spectacular
mountains, and there are several roads that go up into them. Which of those
roads could recommend for riding, like I'm looking for some nice views on the
way up, maybe some cute villages to ride thru, some fun curvy sections on
descent, not too much vehicle traffic.

Col de Sanetsch is a 'must do'

(d) Gotthard / San Gottardo -- is there a way to ride across that pass
without all those bumpy cobbles on the old road?

Yes - although the 'bumpy' road, Via Tremolo is for going up not that
bumpy :-)

(e) Julier pass seems like a pretty pass, not amazingly spectacular but
pleasant + pretty higher up when I've been over it on a car. But I've never
ridden my bike over it because it seems to have lots of high-speed cars, and
some trucks, because it's the shortest road between the Engadin valley and
the autobahn + Zurich. Is there some way to work around that? (Albula pass
was decent for riding, but I didn't like staring at the power transmission
towers higher up).

Julier is not busy with freight at all!

(f) Lukmanier pass (Lucomagno) -- is it interesting to ride?

Thanks for the help and ideas,

Ken