Old March 20th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights forBicycles.

On 3/20/2017 9:59 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:51:25 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/19/2017 6:24 PM, sms wrote:
On 3/19/2017 2:02 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Now I have to go cash my check from Reelight.

Such things are usually done by "loaning" you test samples of the
products, and then "forgetting" to recover them. In theory, you're
expected to declare the value of such samples as income for tax
purposes. Payments of cash or checks are rare unless you are hired as
a consultant.

Yes, but a couple of people in this group insist that the only reason I
favor good lights is because I am getting paid by light companies.

The remarks (generally about commission) arose because several of your
websites which touted dozens of products, and had at the bottom
statements something like "if you're going to buy one of these, please
start from this website so I get my commission."

And some of your web pages included a sort of brief resume in which you
bragged about doing "guerilla marketing" in bicycle forums.

Those statements seem to have been taken down now. But when they were
first discovered, there were links and quotes posted here.

Check this out: https://academic.oup.com/eurpub/arti...enting-bicycle

Don't ride in Auckland, even with a blinky.

Interesting study, with weird results. Seemed the group that was just
"occasionally conspicuous" had the lowest crash rate.

"The crash risk was similar across different patterns of using
conspicuity aids except that the ‘ occasionally conspicuous day & night’
group had a lower risk relative to others."

[The groups were these: " 'class one was termed ‘usually conspicuous day
& night’; class two was termed ‘often conspicuous during the day and do
not cycle in the dark’; class three was termed ‘occasionally conspicuous
day & night’; and class four was termed ‘rarely conspicuous during the
day but conspicuous in the dark’."]

And the authors also refer to some other studies with similarly
unexpected results. (Sorry, the footnote numbers won't appear here as
proper superscripts):

" ...this analysis used a composite measure of conspicuity and found no
significant association with the risk of crashes involving a motor
vehicle. Likewise in a previous cohort study involving bicycle commuters
in Portland, using lights in the dark or reflective materials _did not
predict the risk of traumatic events_ (defined as a cycling event
leading to injury). 16 A strong protective effect of fluorescent colours
observed in our earlier (cross-sectional) analysis 15 may be due to
failure to exclude cyclist only crashes.

"Our study is one of very few examining the effect of cyclist
conspicuity on incident crashes, but the design did not allow us to
account for behaviours of involved parties and road and traffic
conditions before the crash. Some case–control studies attempted to
address this issue by measuring cyclists’ acute behaviour including use
of conspicuity aids before a crash. A Canadian study observed that the
risk of collisions with a motor vehicle was _increased_ by wearing
fluorescent clothing but decreased by wearing white or coloured
clothing. 17 Likewise, a UK study reported an _increased_ risk of
collision or evasion crashes by using any item of fluorescent or
reflective material. 18 Additionally, a recent experiment in the UK
reported _little effect_ of fluorescent clothing on drivers’ overtaking
proximities. 32

"Overall, evidence for the effectiveness of conspicuity aids in reducing
bicycle crash risk remains equivocal. Some have argued that cyclists’
misconceptions about their conspicuity and subsequent risk compensation
could play a role in minimising potential benefits. In an Australian
study, cyclists overestimated their night-time visibility and occasional
cyclists were more likely than frequent cyclists to do so. 33,34 There
were also misjudgements on the conspicuity benefits of fluorescent vs.
retroreflective materials at night. If cyclists using conspicuity aids
are confident of being seen, they may be engaged in compensatory
behaviour changes, e.g. cycling in more dangerous circumstances. 18"

[I've underlined some phrases for emphasis.]

--
- Frank Krygowski