Old January 1st 04, 07:40 PM
Enough Already

Default Do bicycles and cars mix? (Sierra Club and Sprawl)

Robert Coté wrote in message ...

It was only a matter of time before that old suicide reference popped
up here. The irony of that cliche is that it shows a subconscious
recognition that overpopulation is indeed a problem.

No. The inevitable reference to suicide is because the respondent
recognizes the cognitive dissonance of the overpopulation crowd. It is
old and common precisely because it succintly reveals the hypocrisy of
the overpopulation crowd.

That term "overpopulation CROWD" is a good one. The hypocrisy angle
implies that anyone who seeks change is a hypocrite. Let's stick to
the issue of why you don't perceive an overpopulation problem with so
much scientific and instinctive evidence of one. Even if the
environmental angle doesn't matter to you, people have a natural need
for space that gets violated more each year. It explains a lot of rage
on our roads. People get much calmer when given ample room.

It also says a
lot about the character of those who utter it. I'm surprised you did't
preface it with the other ignorant platitude about fitting the entire
world population in Texas.

Since this is crossposted to autos, bikes and planning theres a better
"platitude." Reproduced here for your reading pleasu

If every road in the US were laid out in a grid 2 lanes in each
direction and spaced a half mile apart then the entire US road
system would cover a square 560 miles on a side. That at the truly
idiotic spacing of only every half mile and only 2 lanes and no
other roads whatsoever. Actually using a combination of freeways,
principal, arterial and tertiary roads in current proportions the
theoretical single urban area national model would be about 1/3
that size.

That's got nothing to do with the actual layout that honeycombs the
entire country and breaks the land into millions of pockets.
Growth-addicts rely too much on what-ifs to form their reality.

E.A.

http://enough_already.tripod.com/
If any other species behaved like Man we'd call it a plague.