Old June 8th 20, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Groupsets

On 6/7/2020 9:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:10:26 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm noting who is being tolerant of others' choices and who is not.

When I saw Wolfgang's photo, I thought "Hmm. His handlebar bag is
tilted. Mine are level. Looks like that bike has done some real
traveling! Oh, he's got a kickstand like my friend Jim. Hmm, what's that
headlight? Wow, he tilts his saddle a lot." Then I clicked away.

Not a bit of that was deprecatory. But others' reflex seemed to be "You
should ride what I ride!"

I thought it looked like a dirty beater. I could hear the thing rattle, and the chain rings look like they're shark-toothed. Tape is shot, rear fender broken, and wash the thing. Even my commuter is in better shape, and I'm known for deferred maintenance. If he just got back from a trans-Siberia ride, I get it, but if that is just a riding around bike, Lou needs to give him some tips.

And for just riding around, do you really have a handlebar bag that big? You could put two Chihuahuas in there.

On two bikes, yes I do. Volume increases roughly as the cube of
dimensions. Weight increases roughly as the square of dimensions. In
terms of carrying capacity per gram weight, a larger bag can be more
efficient.

I've got smaller bags on a couple other bikes, one of which I've often
ridden to the grocery. It's frustrated me more than once.

But if your "riding around" bike is never used for anything practical,
you're free to omit bags entirely. YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski