Old June 8th 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Groupsets

On 6/7/2020 10:06 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 21:53:24 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/7/2020 9:28 PM, James wrote:
On 6/6/20 1:54 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What matters is total gear range for a given task or terrain.
Minimizing percent change between gears is far, far less critical. But
that's what the industry has been selling for a long time.

That's why I find it frustrating to ride my gravel bike at times on the
road compared to my road bike.Â* The percent change between gears on the
gravel bike in the vicinity of gearing that I want to use on the road is
bigger than on my road bike and consequently I cannot find a gear that
is close to right.

I think it's obvious that people have different tolerances for that.
Perhaps it's due in part to their habitual levels of exertion - that is,
faster people are more likely to demand exactly the right gear ratio.

But then there's my fast friend who seldom shifts her gears...

--
- Frank Krygowski

So, why doesn't she ride a single speed an get rid of all the extraneous weight of the derailleur system?

That would be the difference between "seldom shifts her gears" and
"_never_ shifts her gears." I'm sure the latter is not acceptable to her.

--
- Frank Krygowski