Old June 8th 20, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Groupsets

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 2:10:26 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/7/2020 2:12 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:04:30 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 10:53:16 UTC-4, jbeattieÂ* wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 3:35:42 AM UTC-7, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
Am Fri, 5 Jun 2020 21:31:26 -0400 schrieb Frank Krygowski
:

On 6/5/2020 7:32 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

I own and ride a road bike equipped with a an Ultegra 3x10 group
from
2010 (6703, AFAIR) and I'm quite happy with it.Â* Changing gears ist
easy, fast and works like a charm. Except when it it doesn't.
Problem
is, the construction is a mechanical nightmare. I bought it
specifically
because both cables (bowden cable?), both those for braking and
those
for changing gears are routed along the handle bar, so that there is
enough space between the handles to moutn a large Ortlieb
handlebar bag.
Have look at
https://pluspora.com/posts/296e60b0625701384a38005056264835, fifth
picture or
https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/20200416/DSC01809.jpg

Changing the inner cable is difficult, when one of the wires is
already
broken. Somehow I damaged an tiny spring while removing the old
cable.
In consequence, the whole expensive grip had to be replaced.

But mainly, I'd really like to get rid of all those arkwardly routed
cables, which break much to often.

Interesting. I have always used large handlebar bags on (almost) all
bikes.

So do I.

197x ff: https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/loire1.jpg
1996-2010: https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/IMG-2461.JPG

Gadzooks. No offense, but that last photo looks like a dumpster find
-- except for the undoubtedly expensive hydro rim brakes. What do
you use for a fun, fast ride? I hope you at least remove the kickstand.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wolfgang Strobl, in regards to IMG_2461, how do you stay on t hat
saddle? Don't your arms get sore?

Cheers

That puzzles me too.

Lou

Well and truly, people like what they like. Inexplicably.

I'm noting who is being tolerant of others' choices and who is not.

When I saw Wolfgang's photo, I thought "Hmm. His handlebar bag is
tilted. Mine are level. Looks like that bike has done some real
traveling! Oh, he's got a kickstand like my friend Jim. Hmm, what's that
headlight? Wow, he tilts his saddle a lot." Then I clicked away.

Not a bit of that was deprecatory. But others' reflex seemed to be "You
should ride what I ride!"

--
- Frank Krygowski

You draw strange conclusions again. A forward tilted saddle as much as you see on the photo puts a lot of strain on you arms. Sir asked an honest question about that and I was replying that that puzzles me too. How is that the same as 'you should ride what I ride'? And of course you are claiming to be not judgemental yourself ever.

Lou

Lou