Old June 12th 20, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Your gearing is obsolete

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 21:08:38 UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 16:17:46 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/11/2020 2:41 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 10:53:39 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!

Only 12 gears on the freewheel? How about 21 gears?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/index.html#Corn%2520Cobb%2520Freewheel.jpg

I can't wait!

Wait for what? The broken rear axle, shredded freewheel teeth,
excessive chain wear, weird derailleur, or grinding shifts? With a 21
speed freewheel, you can have all of these (if you wait long enough).

Effects of the chainrings size difference on chain rubbing
http://www.dobrianov.net/bike_chain_line/chainline.html

BTW, browsing around your photo pile, I was pleased to see the Berg
catalog. Always interesting. I wonder if that cable chain might actually
become workable.

http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/Berg/index.html
The Berg stuff is from a previous discussion on the possibility of
using their cable chains on a bicycle. I couldn't find the thread
using Google groups search.

As I recall, the problem was that the plastic parts of the chain
cannot handle the power or load. 300 lbs maximum or 70 lbs per link.
It can probably be made to work for light loads. Damage to the
plastic cross rollers by the sharp edges of the mating gear teeth will
likely wear the plastic parts rather rapidly.

There was also a problem with the length of the chain loop, which had
to be ordered cut to length. There is a removable link to allow it to
be installed and removed, but no way to attach the removable link to a
cut cable.

Still, the light weight, low noise, and no lube, makes such a chain
rather attractive, even if the chain is essentially a throw away. I
must confess that I've done nothing with the idea since it was last
discussed.

If you have a copy of Bicycling Science 3rd Edition by David Gordon
Wilson, there is a short discussion of the Berg SpeedE flexible drive
on Pg 324. SpeedE is a somewhat different design from the Pow-R-Tow
chain shown in the older printed catalog:

The Berg online catalog shows a variety of plastic chains:
https://www.wmberg.com/products/belts-and-chains
https://www.wmberg.com/products/belts-and-chains/row-l-er

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

The 21 speed corncob is an April Fool's post along the lines of Sheldon Brown's April 1st posts.

Cheers