Old June 18th 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Disk brakes

On 6/17/2020 8:37 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 3:05:50 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 2:04:01 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Installing brakes on four bikes, one with a leaky caliper caused by a bad internal seal (which I fixed), it paid to get the bigger bottle. Really, they want $10 for 100ml when I got 1,000ml for $17. That's an $83 savings. I'll sell it to the neighbors. I'll sell you 100ml for only $8 plus $1 shipping. You'll still save a dollar. And its Shimano and red. A liter of ordinary non-red and non-Shimano mineral oil is probably $2, but I'm not comfortable experimenting with my brakes. Plus it wouldn't be red. I'd have to buy food coloring.

Wait - as we all know, red paint makes bikes faster. So wouldn't red brake fluid be counterproductive? Don't you want some color that would make things slower??

Disc brakes are so confusing!

Red is both fast and slow (e.g. red lights).

Right, red lights! Isn't it now obvious why so many people run red
lights? It's the conflicting message, using "go fast" red to tell people
to stop.

I think it's time to change red brake fluid and red traffic lights to
blue. Gazing at a blue sky naturally slows a person down. And when a
blue flashing light is visible on a freeway, everyone slows down, even
if it's in the opposite lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski