Old June 8th 21, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Shimano availability?

On 6/7/2021 10:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 16:11:51 -0700 (PDT), Mark cleary
wrote:

So COVID has shot the groupsets of Shimano. I am not a dura-ace person and I still shift with cables. Are they going to be making or shipping Ultegra or 105 stuff. Maybe it all is dried but and in the end looking for it will never come. I would even go to a disk brake set up if I could find 105 stuff. I have Ultegra now but frankly 105 is just as good.
Deacon mark

While you're waiting, you might consider making your own parts (and
selling extra parts to others in your situation). For example:
https://stlbase.com/browse/bicycle+shimano/
https://www.yeggi.com/q/shimano/
Unfortunately, making the stamped steel cassette gears will probably
be too difficult. However, it might be possible to use a water jet
cutter to make the chainrings.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=waterjet+cutter+bicycle+chainrin g

Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+printed+bicycle+parts&tbm=isch

A bit more seriously: I've sometimes thought it would be nice to have
access to a CNC mill, to refurbish freewheel cogs. It would keep my
ancient SunTour freewheels going.

--
- Frank Krygowski