Old July 12th 03, 02:49 AM
Bernie

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

They are equally illegal on divided,
limited access highways (autobahns, autoroutes, motorways, etc.) in every
European country that I know of. Where's the difference between the US and
Europe?

In the UK they are banned from motorways BUT are *not* from dual carriageways
and other A roads or major roads. To be banned from a normal major road over
here is *rare* - over here we cyclists have a *right* to be on the road and
drivers of motorised transport are there by *licence* - a fact a lot of
motorists and cyclists over here tend to forget :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

It is the same deal in Canada. We cyclists have such an inherent right to the
road that we need no licence. We have the right to be there. Motorists must
earn thru education and buy with money the licence to bring their motor vehicles
onto the common road.
Try to explain that one. Eyeballs roll up to watch the mind movie ... Only
fellow cyclists can just possibly follow that line of "heresy".
Some time ago I was given a travel book of India. One of the images in it was
the Grand Trunk Road, built by the British Raj in the early 19th century. A very
wide roadway that runs N/S in India. The picture, BTW was 20th century
contemporary, not 100 years ago. It showed pedestrians, loaded camels, mule
trains, horse and camel drawn wagons, trucks piled hugely high with goods, and of
course bicycles, all travelling slowly, north and south. The perspective was
good, as it took in a fairly long view. There did not seem to be any clear rules
of "keep to the left" (or right). Everyone seemed to be loosely spread out.
The point is, all these road users had a right to be there. The trucks were
capable of high speeds, but not without trashing the many low speed road users.
I quite enjoyed the picture, and the message it delivered.
Bernie