Old January 8th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default Frustrations Learning to Ride: Mental Block and *Really* Sore Knees?

The only advice I have for people with mental blocks is... drink two
beer. Just enough to help loosen those mental blocks without severely
affecting your coordination or balance, then try letting go of your
husbands hand.

As for the knees that sounds very familiar. When I was training for RTL
(unicycle race) I my knees started to get really sore and it got to the
point that I not only could not ride but run or even walk without severe
pain. 6 weeks and as many doctors latter I finally met a doc that took
me seriously and knew what he was talking about.

He told me I had a muscle imbalance in my quads. He said that it was a
common imbalance for both cyclists and runners. I was unicycling
100-150km per week and running 10-20.

To correct it he told me to sit in a chair and just raise my foot
flexing the knee ten times in a row three times a day. Two days latter I
was walking without pain for the first time in over a month and four
days latter I was running and riding pain free.

Your knee problems may not be the same as mine but that very simple
exercise did wonders for me.

ERIC

--
saskatchewanian