Old February 1st 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wes Newell

Default Electric bikes.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:36:54 -0500, dgk wrote:

Do you know how to hook up the batteries? I guess just in series no?
I've read all kinds of stuff about controllers being capable of handling
the voltage (amperage?) but don't know enough to be more than dangerous.

Yes, you just hook them up in series. Controllers have cutoff voltages.
The one with the kit I'm getting is 55V. Shouldn't be hard to modify if I
want to take the voltage higher for more power/speed, but probably won't
mess with it.

My main issue with heavy batteries is that there is just no way that it
can be ridden as a normal bike. I would like to get another ebike so my
significant other can come on rides with me but that won't be anywhere
near as costly as my Trek. I use it every day. The SO will use it pretty
rarely.

I'm going to put the kit on my spare bike. My wife can't even ride a
trike, much less a bike. No coordination at all. If this works out, I
might bet another 3 wheeler with a front hub kit and put some big ah
batteries in the back for range.