Old June 9th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Default THE LOGIC OF TRIKES an outsider's viewpoint by Andre Jute

Bernhard Agthe wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

luggage on a trike, it should be under your legs. The Culty that Chalo
referred us to the other day has the luggage in the right place but
the wheels in the wrong place. Most of the others you and I are likely
to consider are too low to put anything under the legs.

Chalo seems to like his Culty, so *for him* the wheels are in the right
place.

I don't ride a Culty. I simply pointed it out as a leaning, high-
riding trike when Andre complained that other leaning trikes were too
low. I expect that the idiosyncrasies of tilting and rear steering
trump all generic concerns about delta versus tadpole layout-- whether
good or bad, there is no other machine to compare to the Culty from a
functional standpoint.

I think that Andre's case against delta trikes is circumstantial; the
few that carry their riders low and between the rear wheels (e.g. the
Hase Lepus and Kettwiesel trikes you have already mentioned) are good
handlers on a par with similarly low-slung tadpoles. The practical
drawback to these is that the best place for carrying loads is
occupied with the rider, but that is the tadpole trike's predicament
as well.

Chalo