Old November 22nd 07, 05:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
ZBicyclist

Default Who is at fault and how should it be dealt?

wrote:

Assuming this is a ride on an ordinary public road, not a closed
course, not an organized event, the rider who failed to stop is very
likely at fault, given the information provided. From the
description, he's lucky he had an accident with the lead cyclist,
rather than blindly riding into traffic in a congested roundabout,
adding injuries to his failure to yield.

Forgetting legal liability for a moment, I've paid in similar circumstances.

The similar situation: Club ride with standard waiver. We've reached our
destination and are sightseeing a historic district. One rider points out a
landmark. I look to the left to see it. The two riders immediately in front
of me stop (I did not hear/heed their warning, although the rider behind me
did hear them and stop.). There was less damage -- a badly bent rim that was
capable of being trued enough to be ridden back 40 miles home with the brake
disabled.

I looked at it this way: I can make a friend or lose a friend. For the cost
of a new wheel I can look like a generous person or like an asshole. I
immediately offered to pay for a repair or a new wheel. (I ended up paying
for a used wheel he found.)

I'm just reporting my choice in an actual situation, not trying to make a
universal statement about a "hypothetical" situation.