Old December 15th 19, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bike adjustments

On 12/15/2019 12:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 10:19:58 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
Bicycle hydraulic brakes are not nearly as reliable or durable as any such brakes used on a motor vehicle (even a cheap motorcycle or scooter).

Also, bicycles don't have the sort of long, tortuous brake line routing that makes cable brakes a bad choice for many motor vehicles. Hydraulic bicycle brakes are just a vanity feature that introduces new modes of failure and service requirements, without bringing any measurable benefits to offset the drawbacks.

While I don't particularly like hydraulic disks I have to disagree with you. The runs are no more "tortuous" than normal wired brakes. I don't have sufficient experience with them to know about lifespan of the brake pads but the one's on my Avid brakes look brand new after 350 or so very hard descending miles.

While the new carbon fiber frames often route all of the hoses internally for aero reasons this also offers almost perfect protection for the hoses. The hose ends are really simple and extremely reliable and the only point of failure would be if you don't properly tighten the bleeding port.

I would be willing to find something wrong with them but aside from them putting the forces in the incorrect places on the frames and being less aero I can't find any.

But since I'm putting an actual road setup on the one bike I would be happy to report to you anything I can find wrong with them and I will be looking quite closely.

I have no dog in this fight but Chalo's comment on 'tortuous
routing' compared bicycle hydraulic runs to automobile
hydraulic runs, not fluid vs wire for bicycles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/