Old January 3rd 06, 11:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Andrew Price Wrote:
Big chunk of styrofoam fell out of the Limar helmet on the way home
from
work tonight, right where the strap attaches at the back.

5 years constant use, a few minor scrapes (there was that low tree
branch
once as I recall) so I guess I can't complain - but I really think it
was
the rash threat to wash it because it was getting a bit pongy in the
heat
that caused it to give up the ghost.

Recommendations for one with significantly longer life span?

I had just got fond of it too, sort of like an old sweater with holes
in it...

My MET Ippogriffo has been beaut for 3 yrs or so until last week when
the soft plastic 'chassis' inside the helmet broke at the back where it
fits into the adjustment bits. I'll be having a closer look at these
mechanisms when I look for the next one.

Any one got any ideas on this? I'd prefer to repair than replace,
thought the comments made about the investment one makes in head
protection will get another airing when I talk to the finance manager
tonight!

Without wanting to cause a ruckus, I haven't had an accident in which
my head didn't get a knock of some sort. Head + ground = hurt. A
pain, particularly in the heat, but I won't be without one.

Dee Dub

--
Dee Dub