Old May 4th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Mixed Emotions

In article ,
"recycled" writes:

'You're not the only one... with mixed emotions...'

Went for a two hour ride yesterday.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788806

Not too bad. Temp was about a high of 17C or so with a 20kmh wind out of
the West Northwest. As that was my outbound direction I was going uphill and
up wind on the outbound leg but mostly down and down coming back.

The mixed emotions? Several SUV's pass with bikes loaded on. Now I try not
to get to high in my saddle and moralize but it still irks me a little. Not

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just carrying bike on autos but SUV's. Even the oil companies have come to
accept the facts of climate change.

Oh well, it was still a pleasant ride.

On Saturday, I was resting in a park near a popular
bike route. I observed a woman pushing a stroller,
with a couple of toddlers in tow, crossing the street.
The driver of an approaching car dutifully and sociably
stopped to let the pedestrians across.

Then a hell-bent-for-leather cyclist came juggernauting
up from behind the car, and passed it on its right side,
narrowly missing the group of pedestrians.

I think my heart stopped for a moment. I infer the rider
simply saw the the stopped car as an obstacle to get around,
and didn't consider that maybe it was stopped for a reason.

So, today's sermon is: "don't pass on the right." ;-)

Where the heck is Tom Sherman these days?
I hope he's okay.

cheers,
Tom

--