Old June 14th 19, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Default Chain alignment friction losses

Am 13.06.2019 um 17:41 schrieb Mark J.:
On 6/13/2019 1:06 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.06.2019 um 01:21 schrieb John B.:
As an aside, 250 watts is probably as high, or perhaps higher, than
the usual recreational cyclist normally produces.

My health insurance says 2 watts per kilogram body mass is a healthy,
above average value.Â* So a normal recreational cyclist is likely to
have a sustained output on the order of 100W (typical female, 50kg) to
150W (typical male, 75kg).

I am fascinated that your /health insurance/ has /anything/ to say on
this matter.Â* Is it a European thing?

I'm pretty sure that every health
insurance company I've had has been completely oblivious to the
insured's power output, although height and weight are of intense
interest to them.Â* Can you give more context about how you found this,
and what the company has to say?

In Germany, health insurances offer all kinds of subsidized "healthy
living" trainings to their customers (e.g. "stress prevention",
"balanced eating"). They also run "healthy living" information stalls
on festivals (like the U.S. "State fairs") and for large employers.

As part of the "bike to work" month, my employer offered anonymous
"fitness checks" at lunch time. One was measuring the lung exhaling
capacity, one was load tests on a stationary ergometer (what power
output keeps your pulse below 100?); the result of both tests was
print-out showing your individual measures on a range red - yellow -
green, plus an individual link to an internet site proposing simple
"5-minute office work-outs". As my results were green on both tests, I
don't know what exercises they would have suggested for a power output
below par )-;

Rolf